Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Different Strokes

I've been down in Atlanta for the last five days working at ADAC for clients and attending the Atlanta International Gift & Home Furnishings Market.

I'll be posting about some of the trends I saw and loved this week.

The first (and honestly my favorite) discovery: all the feminine, painterly florals.

In general I am a devotee of anything that looks like it was done by hand, so I've been loving all the splatter paint and brush stroke motifs in the design world of late.

But the idea of taking a floral that might otherwise be restricted to a watercolor hanging on a wall or an oil painting and reinterpreting the idea on sheets, ceramics, and pillows jumped out at me as both old school and totally fresh. These are different from the whole chintz craze, different but equally beautiful. Here are a few details shots of the aesthetic on display:







The trick is placing any one of the looks in the right context. Florals mixed with gilded mirrors and heavy antiques and drapes are not my thing.

But blurry, imperfect florals and stripes? Abstract floral napkins on an industrial, metal dining table? Yes and yes.

*If any of the pics above interest you at all, feel free to email me for details: magpiebyhaskellharris@gmail.com.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vat is old is new Dahling. Those images remind moi of Vera an artist turned textile designer in the 60s 70s of last century. Vera Neuuman was her name. I rummaged through my table cloths to find my vintage George of Paris tablecloth with the floral motif of a bouquet scatted on the tableau hehe

Anonymous said...

Great story again.
Thanks a lot. :=)

my web page ... Recommended Site